Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Native American Bone, Block and Edge Blown Flutes - Marlon Magdalena


Marlon Magdelena speaking at the Museum of Indian Arts and Culture in Santa Fe, New Mexico

Marlon Magdalena
(Link)

Bio:

"My name is Marlon Magdalena, aka Ælu'æki or aluaki (translates to "Young Elk"-- Æ and æ are the same sound as the "a" in "hat" and "bat"). It is my Jemez Pueblo name. I am an accepted tribally-enrolled member of Jemez Pueblo, a federally-recognized tribe in New Mexico. I come from the Magdalena Family and the Sando Family, as well as the Panana's and the Vigil's/Mora's. My life is centered around my family and community of Jemez, where I have lived most of my life. I proudly participate in all aspects of Jemez Life; for instance, I speak the Jemez Language, I plant Jemez corn, sing Jemez songs, and dance Jemez Dances. I am proud that I am from a place that still continues our ancient ways of life."

"I currently make and sell 3 kinds of woodwind instruments found in North America; Rim-blown Flutes, Two-Chambered Block Flutes and small bone flutes and whistles. I also make small paintings (mostly of various animals) and traditional crafts (i.e., leather pouches). I give flute performances and flute-making demonstrations as well."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments have temporarily been turned off. Because I currently have a heavy workload, I do not feel that I can do an acceptable job as moderator. Thanks for your understanding.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.