Thursday, March 12, 2015

Dear Miss Marnie . . .

Dear Miss Marnie:

I'm a research scientist working for a privately funded consortium focused on genetic ancestry testing and modeling.  I thought you might be able to offer some advice on how to deal with my boss, who is the director of this consortium.

The truth is that I suspect that my boss has been not so secretly trying to find his Lost Viking.  Lately, he's had me running many Admixture runs in order to show that the Vikings, and related Steppe people, rode (and rowed, I guess) into Europe in one massive sweeping orgy, over-running the existing population. I have to admit that I've been more than tempted by the idea myself. 

The problem is that after several months of running Admixture, the results are not quite cooperating with the Lost Viking mass invasion thing.  There are those annoying Beaker People, who increasingly don't look all that overrun by Vikings.

My boss, call him Odin, has been insisting that I ignore various populations in order to uphold the Viking thing.  So far, he's got me completely ignoring the Balkans and the entire Western Seaboard.  Sooner or later, our reviewers are going to catch on.  I'm beginning to be worried about my future credibility as a researcher.

It's getting more and more difficult to keep Odin happy.

I've been contemplating various exit strategies.  I thought maybe you could pass along a few ideas on how to deal with Odin while keeping my job.

Signed,
Trying To Get Paid

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments have temporarily been turned off. Because I currently have a heavy workload, I do not feel that I can do an acceptable job as moderator. Thanks for your understanding.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.