Sunday, October 21, 2012

Tadrart Acacus UNESCO Web Site


Map showing location of Tadrart Acacus, courtesy African World Heritage Sites (link)

UNESCO Tadrart Acacus (link)

"On the borders of Tassili N'Ajjer in Algeria, also a World Heritage site, this rocky massif has thousands of cave paintings in very different styles, dating from 12,000 B.C. to A.D. 100. They reflect marked changes in the fauna and flora, and also the different ways of life of the populations that succeeded one another in this region of the Sahara."

Chronological phases of Tadrart Acacus rock art are:

the naturalistic phase (14,000-10,000 BP) (AARS link)
the round-head phase (10,000-6,000 BP) (AARS link)
the pastoral phase (6,000-3,500 BP) (AARS link)
the horse phase (3,500-2,000 BP) (AARS link) and
the camel phase (2,000BP to present) (AARS link)

Related:

A Date for Dairying in the Green Sahara (link)

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting thanks. It's not a widely known matter so I think I will repost at my blog.

    I just do not understand why you did not hotlink a sample photo from each period. The entry would look a lot more complete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are beautiful photos at the UNESCO site, and at the AARS site, but they are under copyright. I will be adding photos from the different periods over the next week or so, once I find some good ones that are not under copyright.

    ReplyDelete

Comments have temporarily been turned off. Because I currently have a heavy workload, I do not feel that I can do an acceptable job as moderator. Thanks for your understanding.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.